- This event has passed.
International Socialist Organization Educator Happy Hour
January 12, 2018 @ 4:30 pm - 6:30 pm
ISO Educator Happy Hour:
Why Educators Should Take a Knee for Black Lives Matter
When: Friday, Jan 12 4:30-6:30pm
Where: O’Reilly’s Bar (upstairs in enclosed rooftop bar) 21 W 35th St
In December, more than 500 students marched out of their high schools in Manhattan demanding that metal detectors and the NYPD be removed from their building. This February, educators across the country will take part in a Black Lives Matter Week of Action. This week will build off the actions of educators in Seattle and Philadelphia last year that attempted to bring the spotlight on institutional racism raised by the Black Lives Matter movement onto the education system. Come to this Happy Hour to discuss how race and class affect our school system, how you can involve your school in the Black Lives Matter Week of Action, and the socialist perspective for building a future free of racism.
– How can we fight segregation in our schools?
– How can we fight the school-to-prison pipeline?
– How can we support students fighting metal detectors and the NYPD in our schools?
– How can we divert money away from policing our students and towards restorative practices supported by more guidance counselors and to smaller class sizes?
– What can we do to stop the disappearance of Black and Latino educators in NYC public schools?
– Adam Sanchez – ISO, Rethinking Schools, Zinn Education Project, Teacher in the DOE
– Leia Petty – ISO, Guidance Counselor
Find out more about the International Socialist Organization (ISO)